[Spellyans] UC/UCR

e-mail kevin.blackburn1 kevin.blackburn1 at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 14 16:01:08 GMT 2012

All,

I must apologise for the disruption my original question seems to have
caused. As an interested outsider looking in, I wanted to understand the
situation with the Cornish revival. That, I do now. So, thank you. As I
said I started studying Cornish 30 years ago, and only 10 years ago I asked
this same question - then it was KK muddying the water. I hope SWF will
deliver a consensus that finally can be held up as the 'one Cornish', but
it does sound like the people in control of the process are not really
listening to everyone. It will be interesting to see where we are in 5 and
10 years hence!

Regards

Herbie

On 14 November 2012 15:50, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com> wrote:

> On 14 Nov 2012, at 15:30, Nicky Rowe <nickyrowe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Why is this even being argued about? Some people may cherish UC very
> dearly but as for the future of the language is concerned, and a written
> official standard, UC is dead. UCR is dead. RLC is dead. Kemmyn is dead,
> believe it or not. The only thing that matters is the SWF, it's what new
> learners want and it's what will be used in education and public life.
>
> Really? It's been five years and there's no sign of the SWF in the schools.
>
> > You can push for what you want within the SWF, but you need to be
> realistic. Think of the old orthographies as dead, think about what might
> be achievable within the SWF, and think of KS as a nice academic exercise
> in orthography design
>
> Which has given the Cornish Revival 1.4 million words of good,
> grammatical, idiomatic Cornish, and the most comprehensive grammar book
> which has ever been written.
>
> > but one that many in the revival have resistance to and others
> completely ignore, for which reason is unlikely ever to get adopted as a
> SWF. Stop getting bogged down in pointless debates and get real.
>
> As long as the SWF fails to be linguistically accurate, it cannot attract
> consensus.

Kevin 'Herbie' Blackburn
Sent from my WebMail
tel: 07791193602