[Spellyans] UC/UCR

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 11:43:41 GMT 2012

I taught Irish in university for 30 years. The teaching of Irish in schools is so faulty, that in some ways it has done more harm than good.
90 years after independence Irish is hardly spoken at all. There is no daily newspaper, no weekly magazine.
And people are even proud to declare that they know no Irish.
Many public notices in Irish are incorrectly spelt or meaningless but that doesn't matter because people don't see them.
They have been turned off Irish by having it badly taught to them in school.
The only people who speak Irish are those who learnt it from their parents.
Mura bhfuil sí ón gcliabhán agat, níl sí agat ar chor ar bith 'If you haven't it [Irish] from the cradle, you haven't it at all].
Schools in this matter are useless.

Nicholas