[Spellyans] The importance of Language Teaching Methodology

Jon Mills j.mills at email.com
Fri Nov 16 12:59:38 GMT 2012

In relation to the unsuccessful teaching of Irish in schools,
 "Pupil participation in the Irish class
 Observation of individual pupils in each class by Inspectors showed that about half of all pupil ‘behaviours’ during the Irish lesson consisted of the pupil speaking individually (and in Irish in 91% of cases). The results also showed that (i) pupil speech was not produced very often in the context of real communication or of meaning negotiation, (ii) pupils with lower levels of ability in Irish spoke less often than other pupils, (iii) when pupils with lower levels of ability in Irish were silent, they were less attentive to the lesson than pupils with higher levels of ability who remained silent, and (iv) pupils spoke more often and for longer in classes which emphasised communicative teaching activities"
 John Harris (2006) "Irish in Primary Schools: Long-Term National Trends in Achievement" p.8.

 Ol an gwella,
 Jon