[Spellyans] January and other months.

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Fri Nov 23 21:33:53 GMT 2012

With respect, Lhuyd was not a native Cornishman.  We don't know whether he heard the word or saw it written.  In Late Cornish of c.1700, J was often represented in written Cornish by G or even GG.  Take for example <ollgollogack> [Keigwin} for ollgallosek>ollgallojek.  Dialect 'spriggan' is from MC spyrysyon > spyryjyon, LC spriggion, and, therefore this <gg> is /j/ also.

We have from native Cornishmen, <Jenuar> and <Yenvar>, plus the assertion from local tradition that the G was soft; we also have the derivation from Latin Ianuarius (probably via Anglo-French Jenever); all of which give /y/ or /j/.  Jenner most likely took his spelling from Lhuyd, and may not have seen the additional evidence cited by Gendall.

I cannot see the slightest tangible evidence that the G - written only by Lhuyd - was hard; and every native evidence that it was soft.

Craig

(PS - if etymology is important, as it seems to be for some, then shouldn't the modern spelling also have <-ar> to reflect the Latin origin and the native spellings?  Or is etymology only to be cited where it suits the modern argument?)