[Spellyans] horseman

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Oct 31 19:56:51 GMT 2012

On 31 Oct 2012, at 19:37, Daniel Prohaska wrote:

> I know. I just don't think it justfies spelling the same suffix two diffrent ways, which leaves you with two variants of the same word in the singular meaning zhe same thing with an identical pronunciation.

No one seems to think the rule is problematic for words with a single plural. If a word has two plurals, then according to the rules, it may have two spellings in the singular. I myself would not use the plural "marhegyon" and so I would not write "marhek". But if I did use it, I would expect the regular rule to be followed, and I would write "marhek". It is simpler to have regular rules here rather than to have an exception.

Of course we could write this word marhæk. ;-)