[Spellyans] top hat

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Sep 25 16:59:13 IST 2012

On 25 Sep 2012, at 16:25, Jon Mills wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a Cornish translation equivalent for 'top hat'?

The Welsh Academy dictionary has "het silc" for this. Were they made of silk? I didn't know it. Wikipedia says tt's called a "top hat, beaver hat, high hat, silk hat, cylinder hat, chimney pot hat or stove pipe hat". They date from the 18th century, so any term will do. 

Nicholas gives "hot owrlyn" 'silk hat' in his UCR dictionary.

I like the idea of "hat chymbla" though.

Michael Everson * http://www.evertype.com/

More information about the Spellyans mailing list