[Spellyans] in me, in you, etc.

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 11:23:28 IST 2013

In his Student's Grammar of Modern Cornish (1991) Gendall gives the paradigm of the preposition pronouns 'in me, in you' etc. as follows:

ettam
ettas
etten/eta/ena
ette
etton
etto
ettanz/ et angy (GMC: 107).

Later in the book however he cites the attested forms as follows:

unnaf, ynnaf
ynnos, unas sche
itna, it an, ydn, etten, eta, ena, unna, ynna
unhy, ynny, yny unny
ynnon
--
ettanz, ittaqnz, ettans, ynna, unna (GMC 160).

This second list is similar to the paradigm he gives in Tavaz a Ragadazow:

unnaf
unnos, unnas she
etten, itan, ena, eta, itna
unny,
innonn, innan nye
inno
ittans, ettans, unna (Ragadazow 123).

It should be noticed, however, that if Gendall had gone back in time a little, he would have found: fatla vgy faith an tasow coth a vam egglys in an sy 'that the faith of the ancient fathers of Mother Church is in them' SA 59a, i.e. inans y, and this would have supplemented his third person plural forms. Indeed inansy in SA looks as though it might have been pronounced in anjy.

In the lessons in Ragadazow Gendall uses, for example, ita ve for 'in me', e.g. Trustio ita ve (Ragadazow 58b).

The forms of this inflected preposition with -t- are attested only the the 3rd person singular and plural. There is no evidence that -t-forms ever occurred in either the first or the second person in Cornish.

Jenner in the Handbook gives:

ennov, idnov, ettov
ennos, idnos, ettos
enno, idno, etto
enni, idni, etti,
ennon, idnon, etton
ennough, idnough, ettough
ennans, idnans, ettans.

Possibly Gendall was encouraged by Jenner's paradigm to teach such unattested forms as *ettov 'in me', *ettos 'in you', *etton 'in us', etc.
The great merit of RLC, however, was its claimed authenticity. I wonder whether *ettov, *ettos, *etton can really be considered authentic.

One could argue that forms like *ita ve are wholesale inventions.