[Spellyans] Pronuncaiation

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Fri Apr 26 13:12:05 IST 2013

The Irish equivalent which I have heard in the Gaeltacht is Is fearr Gaeilge bhriste ná Béarla cliste 'Better broken Irish than clever English'. Béarla is masculine so the attributive adjective is not
lenited. Briste is lenited to bhriste after Gaeilge, which is feminine.
Much Irish these days is very broken indeed. As the saying goes: Mura bhfuil sí ón gcliabhán agat, níl sí agat ar chor ar bith 'If you haven't it from the cradle, you haven't it at all'.

Nicholas