[Spellyans] The sound of r

Christian Semmens christian.semmens at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 17:17:31 GMT 2013

Pop along to KDL and prepare for more r-r-r-r-r's than your ears can stand!
It is horrible.

That aside, Craig, do you use a retroflex r or a bunched r, or both? I find
it depends on the word, something like "murder" seems retroflex whilst
"grand" or "great" used a bunched r whilst "grander" uses both.

It can be difficult to tell without an x-ray machine or a pen to poke about
with to work out what the tip of your tongue is actually doing  :)

Is there any evidence that a pervasive trilled r was used in Cornish this
side of the Norman Conquest?

Christian