[Spellyans] The sound of r

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Dec 12 20:46:28 GMT 2013

On 12 Dec 2013, at 11:53, Craig Weatherhill <craig at agantavas.org> wrote:

> Well, I'm sure Michael will slap us for these observations when he gets back from China (on his way back now) but…what the hell!

I don’t know what you’re talking about.

We recommend the use of [ɹ] — the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alveolar_approximant — in initial position, in postconsonantal pisition, in pre-consonantal position, and in final position, and the single tap [ɾ] — the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alveolar_flap — in intervocalic position.

We do not recommend the trill [r] at all.