[Spellyans] The sound of r

Eddie Climo eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 13 13:23:48 GMT 2013

You make a good point, Jennifer, and it's certainly valid for everyday use of the language, as we hear it in 'Radyo an Gernewegva', for instance, or at a Yeth an Weryn, where ordinary Kernwegoryon are chatting or reciting.

However, those who set themselves up as role models for others--teachers, writers, lexicographers, creators of text books and teaching resources, editors, and the like--for them, we must expect a higher standard. Speaking as a writer and publisher, that's one of my main aspirations (no matter how flawed the execution might be).

And that's the standard by which this KDL lesson audio file must be judged:
       http://www.kesva.org/assets/files/KDL/kdl11.mp3

On RanG or in the pub, it would be inappropriate to voice harsh criticism of such pronunciation; but if I were to publish anything as erroneus as that, not only would it be doing learners a favour to lambast it publicly, but also it would be doing me a favour to point out the error of my ways.

So I say, "Kesva, KDL--rak meth dheugh a dhyllo ha scodhya neppyth mar gam!"

Eddie Climo