[Spellyans] Place-Names & maps

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:14:38 GMT 2013

I'm not really sure you can argue that. After all the sea between Brittany and Cornwall is called An Chanel in Beunans Meriasek
and was clearly understood by the audience:

Tremenys yv dyogel lemen genen an chanel 'We indeed have nos crossed the Channel' BM 1088-89.

It is likely that the expression 'the English Channel' is a translation of the Dutch expression Het Engelse Kanaal and has
nothing to do with the Tudors. In modern Dutch the Channel is known simply as Het Kanaal.

Nicholas