[Spellyans] cledh but bleus, keus and greun

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Sat Feb 16 11:56:57 GMT 2013

Nicholas,

As we have discussed previously, a rounded vowel does appear in place names (e.g. Cargloth). Since all the textual attestations here are rather late it is not surprising that they would show */œ/ in its unrounded reflex. But since there's also the place name and I should agree with Craig that (critically examined) place names are highly relevant to the reconstruction of Cornish forms, we do have grounds to reconstruct */klœð/, hence SWFt ‹cleudh›. I should say ‹cleudh› is as correct as bleus, keus and greun.

Dan