[Spellyans] cledh etc

Chris Parkinson brynbow at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 15 10:24:25 GMT 2013

Michael writes that it is easy to transcribe Cornish from all periods into
KS. But in Desky Kernowek chapter 40 LC isn't just transcibed. There are
small grammatical changes which I think are unacceptable in what is
purported to be just an orthological transcription of LC. This is also the
case in the KS version of Jowan Chy an Hordh p373 (KS 'hordh'  has also
acquired /dh/ which LC doesn't have, but that is a slightly different issue)

The sort of small grammatical changes that I mean are when KS writes
'Dhywgh' or 'dhywgh why' rather than LC 'dhe whei'
KS always writes 'me a vedn' with 'a' when for LC 'me vedn' is OK
LC 'medh' is always preceded by 'yn' in KS
LC has 'pa thera diwadh an vledhan' while KS writes 'Pan yth era dywethan
vledhen' or later 'Pan th'era'  which is better. JCH 5,7,9
 Why does KS change these sorts of things?

Michael also points out that nearly all Cornish speakers are L2 learners. Of
course. So for them them the spoken language should be primary too, as it is
for most modern language learners today. But even more critical is the need
for young learners to be exposed to  a fluent spoken language which is what
Lhuyd tried to describe though he was well aware of the scribal tradition.
Writing full literary forms should come later. I make this argument coming
from a Welsh speaking background, and I make it because I have see the
policy work. Why does KS seem to be dragging its feet as regards using LC
spoken forms ? As I have mentioned before, I get the impression that they
are not considered 'good' enough - not 'correct'.  What happened to 'tota
cornicitas'?

Chris