[Spellyans] Bohill

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Jan 2 10:57:59 GMT 2013

Bohill is a contraction of Bole Hill (Eng.) and, as you say, it refers to the legend of the founding of Glasney Collegiate Church.  There is no sign in records of any spelling that hints at a Cornish origin.

I can suggest this for Gaten-Banns:  Yet an Bans - "Gate at the hollow" (yet + an + pans).  In Late Cornish, an initial Y was often pronounced as a soft J (something like the S of pleasure) "Park an Jet" being commonly found for "Park an Yet"; Venton Jean for (an) fenten yeyn.  By extension J is often represented in Late Cornish by G, and even GG (spriggan for spyryjyon is one example).

Craig