[Spellyans] Bohill

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Jan 2 18:09:13 GMT 2013


I'm not sure what Bosvene refers to.  Can anyone supply the contact of OM in which this occurs, because that might help, especially if any other places are mentioned.

It seems very early to be Bodmin (Bosvena late C17).  Alternatively, - vene could well be veneth, "hillside" (lenited).  Shortening of meneth occurs at a very early date in some names.  However, there is no Bosveneth/Bosvena/Bosvene other than Bodmin (which is bos + menehy, "church land").

Craig




On 2013 Gen 2, at 16:51, e-mail kevin.blackburn1 wrote:

> Similarly, does anyone have any theories on the identification and meaning of Bosvene - or were there replies already that I missed in the holiday email wave / to spam?
> 
> Regards
> 
> Herbie
> 
> 
> On 2 January 2013 16:46, Janice Lobb <janicelobb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. I'm disappointed about Bohill, but  I shall look out for the possible gate or hollow near Gaten-Banns Cottage.
> Jan
> 
> 
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Craig Weatherhill <craig at agantavas.org> wrote:
> Bohill is a contraction of Bole Hill (Eng.) and, as you say, it refers to the legend of the founding of Glasney Collegiate Church.  There is no sign in records of any spelling that hints at a Cornish origin.
> 
> I can suggest this for Gaten-Banns:  Yet an Bans - "Gate at the hollow" (yet + an + pans).  In Late Cornish, an initial Y was often pronounced as a soft J (something like the S of pleasure) "Park an Jet" being commonly found for "Park an Yet"; Venton Jean for (an) fenten yeyn.  By extension J is often represented in Late Cornish by G, and even GG (spriggan for spyryjyon is one example).
> 
> Craig
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> On 2013 Gen 1, at 22:01, Janice Lobb wrote:
> 
> > Another Bo- name that has been puzzling me: Bohill in Penryn. Very old street. I have heard various suggestions including Bole Hill and Bee Hill (because of the legend of the town's founding) but could it possibly derive from Bos and Heyl or similar?
> >
> > Also on country road near Perranporth, old house called Gaten-Banns Cottage which has me baffled.
> >
> > Any wise words on either?
> >
> > Jan
> > _______________________________________________
> > Spellyans mailing list
> > Spellyans at kernowek.net
> > http://kernowek.net/mailman/listinfo/spellyans_kernowek.net
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Spellyans mailing list
> Spellyans at kernowek.net
> http://kernowek.net/mailman/listinfo/spellyans_kernowek.net
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Spellyans mailing list
> Spellyans at kernowek.net
> http://kernowek.net/mailman/listinfo/spellyans_kernowek.net
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -- 
> Kevin 'Herbie' Blackburn
> Sent from my WebMail
> tel: 07791193602
> _______________________________________________
> Spellyans mailing list
> Spellyans at kernowek.net
> http://kernowek.net/mailman/listinfo/spellyans_kernowek.net

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://kernowek.net/pipermail/spellyans_kernowek.net/attachments/20130102/16d3ed06/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Spellyans mailing list