[Spellyans] cledh etc

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sat Jan 12 12:28:47 GMT 2013

In my own view, there's no call for -eu- in this word (SWF, KK), other than the fact that Breton has <kleuz> (Welsh has <clawdd>).  There's not much sign of it before the Late Cornish period.

It's <cleath> in CW and <kledh> in Lhuyd.  There is just one -eu- in place-name spellings - the Bolster Bank, St Agnes was Cleuth 1602, Cleath, Clay 1733; Kleth 1740; Cleath, Kleth 1778.

It also occurs in the compounds  mengleth "quarry"; and mongleth, "open-cast mine".

Craig