[Spellyans] cledh etc

Christian Semmens christian.semmens at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 21:28:23 GMT 2013

Once, as a place name, *possibly* indicating a distant pronunciation of
/œ/.  Whilst there is plenty of examples of more recent spellings
indicating a pronunciation of /e/.

If we were attempting to revive Old Cornish then there may be some
justification for this, however it seem completely anachronistic to saddle
the language with a spelling that harks back to a possible ancient
pronunciation on the evidence of one word when it is clear that even if
this sound had once been in use, it had fallen out of use long ago and for
most of the history of written Cornish.

I see no justification for 'eu' either, except as a historical footnote.

Christian