[Spellyans] cledh etc

Chris Parkinson brynbow at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 13 18:36:02 GMT 2013

Nicholas writes that the trouble with using LC as the basis for the revival is that it cuts learners off from the bulk of Cornish literature. You could argue that using the scribal tradition, i.e. the written language, prevents learners from acquiring a fluent spoken language. Lhuyd has given us the main approximation we have to the spoken language when last used. Speech is primary in language, both historically and in L1 learning. Literary forms normally come later in an educational setting. LC users, by following Lhuyd  to a large extent, follow this order of development. So what is needed is indeed an orthography which recognises the close relation between  written and spoken Cornish. Of course they are the same language! But LC users are finding that although both KS and SWFL make allowances for the written/spoken distinction they are not enough, and also there is still occasionally the suggestion that the primary spoken language is somehow sub-standard.

Chris