[Spellyans] cledh etc

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Sun Jan 13 21:27:01 GMT 2013

That is an opinion, Michael, which I do not share.  Surviving textual Cornish is limited in extent, therefore we need every scrap of evidence we can get.  Pipe Rolls, Assize Rolls, etc, are quite likely to have been written by native hands, and I think that may be true of a large proportion of place-name records prior to 1550.  They are written and, therefore textual, evidence.

Can we be sure that all the texts we have were actually written by Cornishmen?  They most likely were…but scholars come from all sorts of backgrounds, as true long ago as now.  Take, as a converse example, the works in English - at a time when English had been reduced to a minority "peasant" language - carried out by Cornish-speaking Cornish scholars, Trevisa, Pencrych and John of Cornwall.  We'd probably be speaking Norman-French now if it hadn't been for them.

Craig