[Spellyans] cledh etc

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Jan 14 10:40:41 GMT 2013

On 13 Jan 2013, at 18:36, Chris Parkinson <brynbow at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Nicholas writes that the trouble with using LC as the basis for the revival is that it cuts learners off from the bulk of Cornish literature.

Because in the later period, the habits of the scribal tradition are lost and either Lhuydian or English-based (sometimes ad hoc) conventions are used. Look at chapter 40 of "Desky Kernowek". It is easy to transcribe Cornish from all periods into KS. The look of Later Cornish is somewhat different, but that's because most of the corpus uses conventions from the scribal tradition.

> You could argue that using the scribal tradition, i.e. the written language, prevents learners from acquiring a fluent spoken language.

By scribal tradition, we mean the set of orthographic conventions ("graphs") used to spell the language.

> Lhuyd has given us the main approximation we have to the spoken language when last used. Speech is primary in language, both historically and in L1 learning.

Nearly all Cornish speakers are L2 learners.

> Literary forms normally come later in an educational setting. LC users, by following Lhuyd  to a large extent, follow this order of development. So what is needed is indeed an orthography which recognises the close relation between  written and spoken Cornish. Of course they are the same language! But LC users are finding that although both KS and SWFL make allowances for the written/spoken distinction they are not enough, and also there is still occasionally the suggestion that the primary spoken language is somehow sub-standard.

I know some LC users who are adapting very well. They feel a certain pull away from 1700 closer to 1600, because that's one of the thing KS tries to do: express a 1600-base centre for the Revived Language, rather than the poles of 1450 and 1750.

It appears to me that Ken George considers LC to be a different language and largely ignores it. Mistake. And it appears to me that Dick Gendall considers LC to be better in some way than earlier forms. Mistake.

In Nicholas' translations he has taken from all periods.