[Spellyans] cledh etc

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Jan 14 11:20:03 GMT 2013

On 14 Jan 2013, at 10:51, Jon Mills <j.mills at email.com> wrote:

> Pronouncing <u> as [iː]~[i] is counter-intuitive. Such prescription is not helpful to learners of RLC and derogates against the RLC community.

There are millions of Germans who pronounce "Vögel" as /feːgəl/ and "grün" as /griːn/ and they don't seem to be too put out by it.

Of course, if you want to massively double the orthographic options by having duplicates like tus/tîs for this incredibly frequent phoneme, you can. But I don't think it would be good for the language in the long term.