[Spellyans] cleudh etc

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Mon Jan 14 14:24:41 GMT 2013

On 14 Jan 2013, at 11:33, Ray Chubb <ray at spyrys.org> wrote:

> But if you accept etymological spelling as the rule you also accept Kemyn based 'myttin', 'kegin', 'melin' etc. in the SWF.  The 'i' is not pronounced but is there only to reflect a Latin root.  I say again: unprofessional.

I agree with Ray here. This aspect in particular causes trouble for the use of the SWF.

> You demonstrate only the uncertainty of pronounced Cornish. The texts are the only record we have.

Another thing we know: Revived Cornish already exists. Efforts can be made to correct problems in pronunciation. The worst aspect of the pronunciation of Revived Cornish is people using English diphthongs instead of "pure" vowels (excepting long [eː] which often breaks to [eːə] in the West). But it is not 1904. Wholesale reforms like the one Ken George attempted will fail in the same way that his failed.

Nicholas and I believe that the recommendations given in Desky Kernowek reflect best both good recommendations and the best pronunciations found in Revived Cornish *already*.