[Spellyans] cledh etc

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Mon Jan 14 16:55:57 GMT 2013

Jan wheg,

Sorry I missed your second question about ‹cledha› "sword". Both "sword" and "trench" ultimately go back to the same root. According to Ranko Matasović's "Etymological Dictionary of Proto-Celtic" the Brythonic forms (W cleddyf, B klezeñv, C cledha) go back to an early loan from Goidelic. For 'sword' he gives *kladiwo- which originally was 'something with which one hits or digs'.