[Spellyans] cleudh etc

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Mon Jan 14 17:06:43 GMT 2013

Ray,
I would never say, that etymology alone should be the deciding factor, but it does play into arriving at a workable spelling for the SWF. In codifying words for the SWF I would always proceed as follows:

1.) Compare the textual attestations and put the spelling patterns in relation to already established spellings.
2.) Consider further evidence such as place-names, family-names other topographical names, survivals in dialect.
3.) Compare the word in question with cognates in Breton and Welsh, and compare if, where and why the Cornish should (or not) diverge.
4.) Back-check these etymologies within the wider Celtic and Indo-European background.
4.) Codify the word according to the rules of and analogous cases in the SWF.

Going by this, I arrive at ‹cleudh› for 'trench'.
Dan