[Spellyans] cledh etc

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Mon Jan 14 17:15:52 GMT 2013

Yes, you're right… Another analogous standard written language is the one of Faeroese. It's strongly historicising and very similar to Icelandic and (standardised) Old Norse. None of the Faeroese dialects are accurately represented in writing, but they can all refer to this historicising "roof" and write the standard while speaking their own dialect.

The important general issues for the review are for me.
1) Seeing the traditional graphs established as standard, official, and main form.
2) Sorting out how to represent short /u/, short /o/ and short /y/ ~ /i/ consistently. My preference is ‹u› for short /u/, ‹o› for short /o/ and ‹ü› for short /y/ ~ /i/.
3) Dealing with the distribution of ‹i›, ‹y› and ‹e› in the SWF. My preference is a system where a) ‹i› is spelt where both RMC and RLC have /i(:)/, b) where RMC has ‹y› and RLC ‹e› (‹ë› in reference and teaching material) and c) where RMC and RLC both have ‹e›.

There are a numer of minor technical issues, but these three above a the 'biggies'… Have you sent in your Review forms yet, we've only got until the end of January to give them in…

Dan