[Spellyans] cledh etc

Chris Parkinson brynbow at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 15 15:20:00 GMT 2013

Nicholas, thankyou for your detailed reply. I agree entirely that trying to base LC orthography on English was a mistake which has disheartened many LC learners. I have seen for some time that  MC/LC are on a continuum and it is a false dichotomy to consider them separately. But I definitely think that there are valid differences between spoken and written language which should be taken into account at the early learning stages, especially for young learners. For that reason I'm not sure about some of changes you make in JCH. E.g. 'dhe' + pronoun is simpler than using the conjugated preposition as one word, because a child could easily generalise the pattern.

However, your book is for adults and that is not the main issue that is worrying.  LC users need an orthography that allows them to write as they speak. Such an orthography would of course allow anyone else to write spoken Cornish as necessary eg in dialogues in novels, or in other informal writing. LC speakers could use a more formal style where appropriate. The choice for us is obviously between SWFL and KS. But if we chose eg to write 'Thera ve mos', or 'Thera ve a mos' would a KS editor demand that it be written 'ow mos'. If we wanted to reflect LC pronunciation by writing eg 'Metten da' would that be disallowed? And so on.

Chris