[Spellyans] cledh etc

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Jan 15 15:27:39 GMT 2013

On 15 Jan 2013, at 14:04, "Hewitt, Stephen" <s.hewitt at unesco.org> wrote:

> In multiform (whether diachronic or diatopic) convention orthographies, such as Icelandic and Faroese, as Daniel noted, it is usual to use older forms from which later or non-standard forms may be derived. Icelandic and Faroese both have pre-occlusion (<ll> /dl/ (except in loanwards); <nn> /dn/ following long vowels and diphthongs), but neither of them show it in the spelling. This causes speakers no trouble.

In Cornish, however, it was made plain that people who wished to pre-occlude wanted to see the pre-occlusion in writing. In KS we have the convention of having bm/mm and dn/nn as interchangeable pairs, and we do not use mm and bm in words which are not pre-occluded either in the texts or in those cases where it has become widespread in the revived language.