[Spellyans] cledh etc

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 16:09:41 GMT 2013

Both the features you mention are in Middle Cornish.

The participle particle is often written o:

agen ganow e ma o mos in Corf agen arluth Christ SA 59a
whath moy e ma S. Ambros o leverall SA 62a

Often in SA ow is omitted completely.

My own preference would be to write ow and to tell learners to pronounce it as a or to leave it out altogether.

Metten for myttyn is found in the deposition of the consistory court at Exeter in 1572
Dew Whallan Gwa Metten in Eglos De Lalant.
Whereas mittin a brees 'tomorrow early' is in the Bodewryd glossary.

The y ~ e business is often held up as an MC/LC marker but it isn't.

tellar for tyller is common in TH, BK and CW.
levar 'book' is in TH and SA.

Incidentally the form gwreoneth 'truth' one would associate with Late Cornish but it occurs in PA.

In my view the sensible way to spell Cornish is as it was last written in the traditional orthography.
That means imitating TH, SA and CW.

Nicholas