[Spellyans] cledh etc

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Jan 15 16:59:51 GMT 2013

On 15 Jan 2013, at 16:23, Dan, then Michael wrote:

>> 2) Sorting out how to represent short /u/, short /o/ and short /y/ ~ /i/ consistently. My preference is ‹u› for short /u/, ‹o› for short /o/ and ‹ü› for short /y/ ~ /i/.
>
> In KS we use ‹u› for /y/~/i/ and not ‹ü› because the /y/~/i/ phoneme is much much much more common than the /u/ phoneme. Therefore we mark short ‹ù› and long ‹û›. This reduces the number of diacritics in a typical text. This is a good idea, since some people don't like them.

Um, wait. You only mentioned short vowels, Dan. So what do you want? Here is how we do it:

/y/~/i/ ‹u› when short, ‹u› when long; the regular length rules (voiced or voiceless following consonant) tell you which. I don't believe we found ANY exceptions to the regular length rules for this class. So it never needs a diacritical mark.

/o/ ‹o› when short, ‹o› when long; the regular length rules (voiced or voiceless following consonant) tell you which. In instances where the regular length rules do not apply, ‹ò› when short, ‹ô› when long (côta, còst).