[Spellyans] cleudh etc

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Jan 16 00:02:55 GMT 2013

"mon-GLEETH"  (although it should probably be "mon-GLETH", as EA is usually "ai" or eh" _ POLZEATH is  "pol-ZETH", but Breage is "BRAIG").

Modern pronunciations are not always to be relied upon.  Kelynack is iron. "k'l-EYE-nek", instead of the correct "K'LIN-ek", for example.  The BBC is currently performing serious assault and battery upon our place-name pronunciations and, because  it's heard so often from "official" sources, local people are gullibly following suit.

HELIGAN is now pronounced by nearly every one as "HELL-i-gun" because of them (ever since the "lost gardens were opened up).  The proper pron. is "h'LIGG-un".  I often wonder if I'm the only person left who says this.  There's a beer called "Heligan Honey" and I wince with genuine pain when I hear Cornish people order this and use the BBC pronunciation).

Craig