[Spellyans] cledh etc

Hewitt, Stephen s.hewitt at unesco.org
Fri Jan 18 08:31:08 GMT 2013

I agree completely,
Steve

From: spellyans-bounces at kernowek.net [mailto:spellyans-bounces at kernowek.net] On Behalf Of Linus Band
Sent: 17 January 2013 13:35
To: Standard Cornish discussion list
Subject: Re: [Spellyans] cledh etc

Even though if we agree that the unrounding already took place in the 15th century, we cannot conclude that the SWF should therefore contain -e- instead -eu-, because Ken George aims to revive the language as spoken around 1500. What we are forgetting is that Ken George (and surely others) is convinced that the unrounding had not taken place yet around 1500, but rather later.
The fact is that there is a part of the revival that would like to pronounce old  */ø/ as [e(ː)] and another part that prefers the older sound [ø(ː)], and the SWF has to accommodate both.

Linus

2013/1/17 Christian Semmens <christian.semmens at gmail.com<mailto:christian.semmens at gmail.com>>
From the evidence relating to cledh, would it suggest that the front rounded vowel sound in Cornish was in retreat in the early 15th century.

If that were so, would it not be fair to say that the SWF etymological spelling is helpful to *pronunciation* only if you wish to target a projected mediaeval pronunciation and as such more relevant to old Cornish than the period the revival professes to be interested in?

On 17 January 2013 09:39, Michael Everson <everson at evertype.com<mailto:everson at evertype.com>> wrote:
On 17 Jan 2013, at 08:28, "Hewitt, Stephen" <s.hewitt at unesco.org<mailto:s.hewitt at unesco.org>> wrote:

> Which I think is wonderful.
>
> But in this group, further changes appear to be being discussed…

Can you be more specific?