[Spellyans] greun

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Fri Jan 18 13:23:44 GMT 2013

Most certainly, Janice.  Trewornan (St Minver) contains the singular.  Polgrain/Polgrean probably have the collective plural, with pol-  translating as "pit", rather than "pool".  Grain was once often stored in pits, a practice that goes right back to the Iron Age (although growan, "decomposed granite" might just possibly be there instead - the Welsh equivalent is graean.).

In some names, <creun>, "reservoir" is likely, e.g. Carn Grean, St Just.  The reservoir which held water to run through the elluvial tin-streaming works nearby was sited up there.

In Penzance, in 1580, there was a street called 'Streatt and Grean' (stret an g.), also "grain".

Craig