[Spellyans] cledh etc

Chris Parkinson brynbow at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 20 19:46:24 GMT 2013

I agree wholeheartedly too! And I will risk boring everyone again by saying that the reason MC/KK speakers sound stilted is because they are trying to speak the written 'scribal' language with English pronunciation i.e. English diphthongs for 'ow' and 'o' and 'e'. Various particles that are not usually part of the spoken language in Welsh are included by these speakers all the time eg 'me a ra' , 'y ma hy', the interrogative particle 'a' etc. No wonder it doesn't flow. Simon Brooks published a book  in 2004 called 'O dan lygaid y Gestapo' The 'gestapo'  here were the 'Language Police' in Wales who did so much damage in spite of their good intentions to raise the status of Welsh in academic circles. The spoken language was considered not good enough. Thank goodness all that changed. Jenefer knows all this.

Chris