[Spellyans] Pronuncaiation+Caradar

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Wed Jan 23 17:41:11 GMT 2013

I'n the advanced class in Camborne we are reading Caradar's 'Trystan
hag Ysolt'.  Remarkably Caradar seems to avoid most of the mistakes in
grammar that Nicholas identifies as being common amongst speakers
today in 'Desky Kernowek'.  The only mistake that I can recall is his
use of 'nefra' to mean never in the past.  (We are eternally grateful
to Hedley for republishing it and his brother for tytpe setting and
editing the text).

It seems that the standard of spoken Cornish has declined over the
years.

On 23 Gen 2013, at 11:06, Nicholas Williams wrote:

> Much revived Cornish looks so unlike real Cornish precisely because
> it avoids borrowings. Caradar understood this and used mona 'money',
> not arhans, which means 'silver'. He called a shop shoppa, not
> *gwerthjy. He didn't as far as I am aware use *dewotty but tavern,
> etc.
> If we are reviving a language without a continuous tradition of
> native speakers and without a sizeable community of people for whom
> Cornish is a first language, we should, I believe, revive the
> language as we find it, not as we would wish it to be. Otherwise we
> are conlanging.

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow