[Spellyans] Pronuncaiation

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 21:49:09 GMT 2013

When the pupil in the school attended by St Meriasek says:

vnwyth a caffen hansell me a russa amendie ‘if I could only have breakfast, I should improve’ BM 110-11

there doesn't seem to be any correction involved. Just an improvement in his ability to read.
The Middle English verb 'amenden' does not imply correction.

Look at these two quotations from Middle English

That yonge and olde..Myght lerne of hir, and also In the crafte gretely amende i.e. That young and old…might learn from her and also in the craft greatly improve.

His cher amendid more and more i.e. 'his mood got better and better'.

Amendya is not the same as 'to emend'.

Nicholas