[Spellyans] Pronuncaiation

e-mail kevin.blackburn1 kevin.blackburn1 at ntlworld.com
Thu Jan 24 16:16:33 GMT 2013

Eddie wrote:
> I was informed by an L2 speaker that this Breton word means 'fluent'.
Alas, I only have one small Breton dictionary, > which assures me that the
meaning of *fraez* is 'anus'! It has no entry at all for *fraezh*,
unfortunately.

Geriadurig Brezhoneg-Saozneg, R. Delaporte 1986 has:

*fraezh*  a. & adv.  clear(ly), distinct(ly)

and Geriadurig Brezhoneg-Saozneg ha Saozneg-Brezhoneg, R. Delaporte 2006
has the same, but also:

*fluent*  a. flour, helavar; *speak fluently*, komz flour

regards

Herbie

On 24 January 2013 15:30, Hedley Climo <eddie_climo at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> On 2013 Gen 23, at 16:10, Hewitt, Stephen wrote:
>
> *Ffraeth* in Welsh means witty, jocular.
>

> Indeed it does, and the *Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru* (free PDF edn.)
> agrees with you. However, its complete entry has rather more to say (my
> underlinings):
>
> *ffraeth.*
> (a) *fluent, eloquent,* loquacious, glib, talkative, flippant, witty,
> humorous; saucy, bold, sharp-tongued; sharp (of taste), pungent.
> (b) ready, swift, prompt, lively, spirited; generous; ripe, fruitful.
> *ffraethaidd*.
> *fluent, eloquent*.
>

>  *Fraezh* in Breton means clear, well-spoken.
>

> I was informed by an L2 speaker that this Breton word means 'fluent'.
> Alas, I only have one small Breton dictionary, which assures me that the
> meaning of *fraez* is 'anus'! It has no entry at all for *fraezh*,
> unfortunately.
>
> :-)
>
> Eddie Climo

Kevin 'Herbie' Blackburn