[Spellyans] dreath treath

Janice Lobb janicelobb at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 15:24:48 GMT 2013


You can see how languages, like sand, drift - but we will be good and stick
to the rules!


On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM, e-mail kevin.blackburn1 <
kevin.blackburn1 at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Janice wrote:
> *>dreath: *1* *[dr‡:†] *WG, ELMS,* *drêath EL, m.* *(drethaw) *Beach,
> strand, sand, gravel, foreshore,
> >warp;*d. lenki, *quicksand; *war an d., *on shore, ashore; *an dre’vôr, *the
> seaside. See *drethan*
>
> Isn't this just wrong - putting mutated forms in as if they are a standard
> form? Where would it end, do we Vam for mother as well.....
>
>
> On 25 January 2013 10:58, Janice Lobb <janicelobb at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> this is from his electronic (draft) dictionary - are there words in later
>> Cornish that were permanently lenited for no apparent reason other than
>> practice?
>>
>>
>>
>> *dreath: *1* *[dr‡:†] *WG, ELMS,* *drêath EL, m.* *(drethaw) *Beach,
>> strand, sand, gravel, foreshore, warp; *d. lenki, *quicksand; *war an
>> d., *on shore, ashore; *an dre’vôr, *the seaside. See *drethan*
>>
>> *treath:* 1 [tr‡:th] *dreath, drêath x EL, treath PN, m.* *(trethaw)*Beach, strand, sand, foreshore, shore warp
>> *TR*; *t. lenki, *quicksand
>>
>>
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM, e-mail kevin.blackburn1 <
>> kevin.blackburn1 at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Craig wrote:
>>> >I have no idea why he's done that.  Treth (treath) is the root, 1st
>>> State noun, and dreth (dreath) the lenited 2nd State >form of it.
>>>
>>> Maybe he was following Rev Williams in his Lexicon Cornu-Britannicum,
>>> who quotes mutated forms all the way through, though he does usually pick
>>> up on them being a form 'used in construction', as he puts it?
>>>
>>>
>>> On 24 January 2013 15:00, Craig Weatherhill <craig at agantavas.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>> I have no idea why he's done that.  Treth (treath) is the root, 1st
>>>> State noun, and dreth (dreath) the lenited 2nd State form of it.
>>>>
>>>> Craig
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On 2013 Gen 24, at 14:21, Janice Lobb wrote:
>>>>
>>>> yes (not ferry)
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:28 PM, Craig Weatherhill <
>>>> craig at agantavas.org> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Both meaning "sand, strand, beach"?
>>>>>
>>>>> Craig
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> On 2013 Gen 23, at 22:11, Janice Lobb wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> > Dick has both dreath and treath as nouns.
>>>>> > SWF has only treth as a noun, dreth appears as a mutated adjective.
>>>>> > Comments please
>>>>> > Jan
>>>>> > _______________________________________________
>>>>> > Spellyans mailing list
>>>>> > Spellyans at kernowek.net
>>>>> > http://kernowek.net/mailman/listinfo/spellyans_kernowek.net
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>>> Spellyans mailing list
>>>>> Spellyans at kernowek.net
>>>>> http://kernowek.net/mailman/listinfo/spellyans_kernowek.net
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Spellyans mailing list
>>>> Spellyans at kernowek.net
>>>> http://kernowek.net/mailman/listinfo/spellyans_kernowek.net
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> _______________________________________________
>>>> Spellyans mailing list
>>>> Spellyans at kernowek.net
>>>> http://kernowek.net/mailman/listinfo/spellyans_kernowek.net
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>> Kevin 'Herbie' Blackburn
>>> Sent from my WebMail
>>> tel: 07791193602
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> Spellyans mailing list
>>> Spellyans at kernowek.net
>>> http://kernowek.net/mailman/listinfo/spellyans_kernowek.net
>>>
>>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Spellyans mailing list
>> Spellyans at kernowek.net
>> http://kernowek.net/mailman/listinfo/spellyans_kernowek.net
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Kevin 'Herbie' Blackburn
> Sent from my WebMail
> tel: 07791193602
>
> _______________________________________________
> Spellyans mailing list
> Spellyans at kernowek.net
> http://kernowek.net/mailman/listinfo/spellyans_kernowek.net
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://kernowek.net/pipermail/spellyans_kernowek.net/attachments/20130125/2bfe372c/attachment-0001.html>


More information about the Spellyans mailing list