[Spellyans] use usage etc

Hewitt, Stephen s.hewitt at unesco.org
Sat Jan 26 14:30:37 GMT 2013

I am very much in favour of this. I know that /y~i/ is more frequent than /u/, but it is the <u> grapheme for /y~i/ which causes problems for learners.

<ü> for /y~i/ and <u> for /u/ means getting rid of the misleading diacritic in unstressed syllables: <arluth> rather than <arlùth>, which to many suggests stress on the final syllable.

Steve