[Spellyans] use usage etc

Daniel Prohaska daniel at ryan-prohaska.com
Sat Jan 26 18:20:40 GMT 2013

On Jan 26, 2013, at 3:30 PM, Hewitt, Stephen wrote:

> I am very much in favour of this. I know that /y~i/ is more frequent than /u/, but it is the <u> grapheme for /y~i/ which causes problems for learners.

Thanks. I also feel that the two dots over the ‹ü› may be a visual adjunct to ‹i› with one dot. Also, ‹ü› is used in a few other languages for their respective /y(:)/. Furthermore, it is familiar to Cornish as Nance used ‹ü› for the sound in UC teaching and reference material.

> <ü> for /y~i/ and <u> for /u/ means getting rid of the misleading diacritic in unstressed syllables: <arluth> rather than <arlùth>, which to many suggests stress on the final syllable.

I agree. That throws me, though there will be a few cases of ‹ü› in unstressed syllables, too, especially in the adjective ending ‹-üs›.
Dan