[Spellyans] Disappearance of Cornish placenames from OS maps

Steven Whitehouse steve at chygwyn.com
Tue Jan 29 17:02:13 GMT 2013

On Tue, 2013-01-29 at 16:16 +0000, Ken MacKinnon wrote:
> A gowetha-oll,

[snip]

> A few years ago a map was produced on Spellyans with place names in
> Cornish.   The cartography was of a good standard for its scale.
> There is a case to carry the process a stage or two further.   There
> would be a good level of demand for such a map, and now an increasing
> number of uses.   It would be a useful tool In the process of
> re-Cornicising Cornwall’s place-names, and of establishing an
> authoritative and readily-available source of place-names based upon
> sound historical, linguistic and toponymic research.   A map at
> 1:250,000 scale (the old ‘quarter-inch’ to the mile) would enable a
> fulsome level of detail, without being too unwieldy as to size.  It
> would have the further virtue that its selection of place-names would
> be of similar scope to that of Oliver Padel’s ‘A Popular Dictionary of
> Cornish Place-Names’ (1988), in which he chose to feature the names on
> the OS 1:25,000 scale map of Cornwall, some 1,000 or so in total. (It
> thus omits Landewednack itself but includes Church Cove, as dating
> from 1888 and being named from ‘Landewednack church above it’, i.e. as
> a coastal figure and not as a settlement name.)   A further resource
> for mapping is the Institute’s Survey of Cornish Place-names.

I wonder if OpenStreetMap http://www.openstreetmap.org/ would be a good
place to build such a map.... there are facilities to mark a place with
multiple names tagged according to language. I did a bit of mapping
around Penwith a few years ago for OSM, unfortunately I've not been back
since to extend it,

Steve.