[Spellyans] Disappearance of Cornish placenames from OS maps

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Wed Jan 30 15:21:32 GMT 2013

What you probably saw were the historical references:  Kulgyth East 1580;  The Kilguthe 1584; The Kilguth c.1650.  (Cape Cornwall first appears in 1589 - perhaps part of the Tudor period ethnic cleansing).

The name is almost certainly kyl (as variant of keyn, "back, ridge" - cf. Kilmar Tor [kyl + margh, "horse"]; Kilminorth [kyl + menawes, "awl"]) + goodh, "goose".  The 1580 name attaches Ust, "St Just".

Craig