[Spellyans] Suffix -yeth in KS

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Jun 4 11:46:03 IST 2013

On 4 Jun 2013, at 00:45, Craig Weatherhill <craig at agantavas.org> wrote:

> Between SWF (Main) and trad. Cornish, there are only 4 serious differences: K/C;  HW/WH; KW/QW and -I/_Y.  (KS/XS is very minor [boks/box]).  Other considerations are relatively minor.  If we could compromise on those major orthographical points, then we're well on the way there.

The choices involving c/k/q and wh/hw and -y/-i are cosmetic. This does not address any of the real problems with the SWF. It addresses a certain element of immediatelyt visible Cornish, but that is more a political question than a linguistic one.

> My own opinions (even though i may not like some of my own conclusions) are as follows:
>
> K/C.  There is plenty of historical precedent for K used where is C is often written.  In which case (reluctantly) accept.

There isn't any need to adopt this KK reform. "Kambron" is not better than "Cambron", surely.

> HW/WH.  In my view, there is no precedent for HW, therefore only WH is acceptable.
>
> KW/QW:  Absolutely no precedent for KW.  QU is very English.  QW was good enough for Jordan and Jenner, so should be good enough for us.
>
> Final --I/-Y:  Lots of precedent for -I in Late Cornish, so accept.

There isn't any need to adopt this KK reform. "Whi" is not better or more authentic than "why". Late Cornish orthographies were based on different principles than the scribal tradition was. You can't just mix the two together randomly. (Well, you can, but what you get is neither chalk nor cheese.)

> That way, of the four major differences, the KK side loses/retains two and the trad. side loses/retains two.  Compromise is achieved.

This kind of compromise is, in my view, a false compromise. It isn't the thing that would "fix" Cornish. It would make Cornish into an inauthentic chimera, half-based on the Glasney tradition, and half-based on a 1980s experiment in orthography reform.

> Remember that SWF should achieve a compromise between Trad, Cornish users (Middle, Tudor, Late) and KK.  We can't move ahead without that, and we HAVE to get a Standard Cornish into schools, sooner rather than later.

Cornish will expand and grow if people use it and enjoy it and are seen to be using it and enjoying it. The schools are not the saving of Cornish. And even as problematic as the current SWF is, it ought to have been got into the schools by now, don't you think?

> If we do not, then Cornish dies.  Full stop.  (And don't any of you dare call the above "horse-trading."  I know more about that than any of you!)

There's one great horse-trade left, but I doubt anyone wants to contemplate it.