[Spellyans] tavas

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Thu May 16 11:13:01 BST 2013

Gendall certainly made Cornish seem less archaic, less quaint and more a real language that could
actually be spoken. His approach, however, had some severe disadvantages.

One of my greatest problems with Gendall's choice of seventeeth century spelling
he made it very difficult for those who had learnt his orthography to read the overwhelming bulk of Cornish literature.
One could read the Bosons and Rowe/Kerew but not the Ordinalia or Beunans Meriasek.

It always seemed to me also that Gendall had a tendency to move the goalposts when explaining what
he was trying to do.

In the Preface to his A Student's Grammar of Modern Cornish (Tregrill Vean, Menheniot 1991) page 1,
he quotes a passage from Nebbaz Gerriau of Nicholas Boson beginning
Rag me a hunnen ve gennez en Collan an powma eu an Curnooack mouyha cowsez…

And immediately thereafter he quotes BM lines 4293-300
which begin:

In kernov me ambeth chy
ryb maria a cambron
thum wyles neb a thue dy
me as aquit purdyson
kyn fo ov corff in ken le
in keth plasna neb a beys…

Gendall then says: "There are two articulate forms of the Cornish language known: Mediaeval Cornish and Moern Cornish. Depending
on the context: these may seem relatively alike or so different as to appear different languages, but their dissimilarities are on the whole
so great that they require treating independantly [sic], as it the case with the mediaeval and modern forms of any other European language.
To run the two forms together would be to produce an unreal alloy with no historical basis" (Student's Grammar 1) [my emphasis].