[Spellyans] tavas

Craig Weatherhill craig at agantavas.org
Tue May 14 11:53:05 IST 2013

The word also occurs in two place-names:

Tavis Vor (coastal feature at Mousehole):  no early forms available.

Hantertavis (Mabe, a settlement named after a rock formation):  Hantertavas 1522; Hanterdeves, Henterdeves 1535; Hanter Davys 1565.  Seems to become confused with <deves>, "sheep (pl.)".

I saw no reason for KK changing the final vowel and, as Nicholas says, e > o takes some explaining.  I'm still spelling it <tavas>.

Craig