[Spellyans] tavas

Chris Parkinson brynbow at btinternet.com
Tue May 14 19:22:27 IST 2013

The reason I wondered whether vowels in unstressed syllables are in fact ' evidently schwa', (as you now repeat without further evidence apart from a claim to the mushiness of Cornish!) is that Lhuyd had a schwa symbol, or so I thought, i.e. 'y' with a dot on it. But he rarely used it. So he maybe was hearing the pure vowel with a secondary stress on it. It would matter because there are a number of vocabulary items spelled with 'a' in RLC and 'e' in MC where RLC users would want to pronounce the'a'. e.g. Kembrack. Or would you want to say that Lhuyd is misleading us!  Chris