[Spellyans] tavas

Deiniol Jones deiniolabioan at gmail.com
Tue May 14 23:37:55 IST 2013

Michael Everson wrote:

> Does etymology help between Irish and Cornish? Not at all. Is it
> particularly helpful between Welsh and Cornish or Breton and
> Cornish? Not really, if you look at the actual Cornish texts. Breton
> is a little handy for KK since the 1980s, but that language might
> well not have been understood by speakers of Traditional Cornish.
>
> Does Proto-Brythonic or Old Cornish help ANYBODY to learn Cornish?
>
> I do not believe so. It's neither practical (since nobody knows
> either) nor useful (since the etymological spellings lead to fairly
> random "patterns" that don't help anyone remember anything.

Obviously, this is just personal experience speaking, but as it
happens I'm in disagreement here. As a Welsh speaker who's studied
Breton and made a fairly in-depth study of Gaulish, Proto-Celtic and
in particularly how the latter becomes the modern Brythonic languages,
I have to say yes, it does help. Significantly. While my active
production of Cornish might be on the scant side (I've not made a
serious study of the language for several years- but even so working
through Clappya Kernowek was made easier by my knowledge of the
related languages and their common parent), I have fairly good passive
comprehension of Cornish solely from knowing about Proto-Brythonic. It
would not be at all inaccurate to say that I learnt to read Cornish
from Nicholas Williams and Kenneth Jackson.

Deiniol