[Spellyans] tavas

Ray Chubb ray at spyrys.org
Wed May 15 15:08:59 IST 2013

I think that Nicholas has hit the nail on the head. In the absence of
native speakers we can never be absolutely sure about how to pronounce
Cornish. Therefore we stick as far as possible to native spellings.
'tavas' is attested many more times than 'taves' so that is what we
should be using. Simple!

Reading some of the opinions here it is almost as if Nicholas had
never published Cornish Today. I never thought that it would be
necessary to regurgitate the points made in that volume 18 years after
its publication. At least not in the company of Celtic language
scholars.

On 15 Me 2013, at 12:40, Nicholas Williams wrote:

> I made a fairly innocuous remark that possibly the v in tavas < OC
> tauot might have been closer to English /w/ than to English /v/.
> In the absence of native speakers it is not possible to be any more
> precise than that.

Ray Chubb

Portreth
Kernow