[Spellyans] tavas

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed May 15 16:38:07 IST 2013

On 15 May 2013, at 16:02, Janice Lobb <janicelobb at gmail.com> wrote:

> You say "In KK melin and gwelyn rhyme perfectly, but are spelt differently for etymological reasons."

They also rhyme perfectly for all speakers of all dialects.

> A problem I have in teaching Late Cornish is explaining that "hir" and "fur" rhyme

Some Germans have the same problem, because some dialects unround [yː] to [iː]. Those etymological vowels have a rationale in KS, however: While everyone says [hiːɹ] for the first word, some people say [fyːɹ] for the second and some say [fiːɹ]. If you explain that to your students, they should understand it.