[Spellyans] tavas

Nicholas Williams njawilliams at gmail.com
Wed May 15 22:44:03 IST 2013

In some forms of Cornish the word for 'pound' is *peuns.
The late form pens has led people to believe that originally the word had <eu>. This I believe is a mistake.
The Welsh form punt suggests that the Cornish congener was originally puns; this later regularly unrounded to *pyns.
Pyns then alternated with pens, exactly like pryns ~ prens, kyns ~ kens, myns ~ mens, dyns ~ dens, gwyns ~ gwens; etc.
Pens is thus a phonetic development of puns > pyns; *peuns is a ghost form.

Nicholas